Grammar: Conditionals type 2 and 3

Present unreal Conditional

In present unreal sentences, the dependent clause is written in the past tense, and the main clause uses would, could, should, might.

Form: [If ... simple past ..., ... would + verb ...]

[... would + verb ... if ... simple past ...]

Examples

  • If I had money, I would spend it. (That's mean I think about spending the money TODAY.)
  • If he drove slowly, he wouldn't have an accident. (If you drive slowly, you won't have any accident)

The Past Unreal Conditional

 Describes what you used to do in particular real-life situations. It suggests that your habits have changed and you do not usually do these things today.

Form: [If / When ... simple past ..., ... simple past ...]

[... simple past... if / when ... simple past ...]

Examples:

  • If I went to a friend's house for dinner, I usually took a bottle of wine or some flowers. I don't do that anymore.
    • When I had a day off from work, I often went to the beach. Now, I never get time off.
    • Jerry always helped me with my homework when he had time. But he doesn't do that anymore.

    ¡¡VIDEO TO REVIEW!!

    Comments